Thursday, February 08, 2007

Default Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us

This is a response that I posted to a video recently uploaded on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE
Please watch and form your own opinions. I would have made a news post but since this is not the final draft I will hold out.

Web 2.0 in just under 5 minutes.


This is the 2nd draft, and I plan on doing one more final draft. Please leave comments on what could be changed or improved, or what needs to be excluded or included. Subscribe if you want to be notified when the revision is released...
--Mike Wesch
My response

What is Web 2.0. Your video clearly defined it. Its user generated data and the ability to use it the way you want to. It has nothing to do with design. or looks. On that note, I dislike youtube. I mean its a great place if you want your video to have a little push. I compare youtube to a tsunami. It starts the tidal wave but the tidal way does stay at the source. Where will the end. How big will it be. Whats next after youtube. What will separate quality content from just plain content.

Where do I fit in all of this. Will there be 2 class of web users the Creators, the commenter/spectators. Has this all ready happened. The spectators are creating content. But who will the new spectators be. Will we be all crushed by this tidal wave. I for one won't .

It's great to create and all these "Web 2.0" sites that make creating content is great too. But wheres the site that makes view content great and enjoyable. Thats high quality and easy. Youtube and Google video doesn't fit the bill. Stage6 has quality but its not easy. Whats the perfect balance and when will it be achieved. We have the tools all we have to do is imagine, create, and live.

No comments: